Monday, November 15, 2010

BRASOV!!!!!!

Hello Everybody!

Dad, Mom, Shelby, Garrett, Marissa, Grant, and send my regards to Caleb!!!! Get him an e-mail before I get back. I'll give you a couple years. ;)

(Marissa I know you have no time for this so I am sending it to your other e-mail address too. Don't bother reading now.)

SO SO SO crazy these past few days I can't believe a week ago I left the MTC! Seems like just yesterday and it seems like I have been here forever. I love it and am somewhat getting adjusted to the city pretty quick.

Before I DIVE in please if you could forward this e-mail to MY teachers and family as usual as I am sure you do. Glad you got an e-mail from Sora Lundbergh and President. And also forward it to maybe Sam Williams, Spencer, and Taryn. Only e-mail to family! It's all good - all about supunere (obedience!)

Fratele Middleton - stephen.middleton.ut@gmail.com
Fratele Jepsen - alex.jepsen@gmail.com
Fratele Irion - robbieirion@gmail.com
Fratele Miles - ctrben@gmail.com
Sora Petrisor - christina.petrisor@gmail.com

I think they are all correct. And tell Fratele Jepsen CONGRATS!!!!! on the Engagement!!!! And real quick for each of them I want to tell where everyone went in my group!! So they know and in case any other Elders don't e-mail their familes to forward it along here you go:

Elder Durand with Wirthlin in ARAD
Elder Pettit with Vekony in DEVA
Elder James with Ferrin in MIHAI BRAVU (Bucuresti)
Elder Nilsson with Brunner in CONSTANTA
Elder Mikolyski with Bennett in PANDURI (Bucuresti)
Elder Green with Sullivan in PANDURI (Buc)
Elder Nelson with Toronto in ALEXANDRIA
Elder Nemrow with Johnson, Brett in CLUJ-NAPOCA
Elder Ransom with Mathis in GALATI
Elder Lee with Martineau in BACAU
AND ME! Elder Schroedter with Betteridge in BRRAAAASSSSOOOOVVVVVV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Elder Fonnesbeck when he comes will be with Frandsen in PITESTI? (NO IDEA!)

I'll let you know next week for sure.

So all the flights went all. From SLC to JFK sat next to a cool guy, Chuck from China, year younger than me and I was able to talk about missions and the church, lives in Utah, school in Rochester in New York. Didn't have as much time in JFK as I thought we would. Lines pretty long for boarding pass line but security wasn't too bad. OH! But in SLC...what the heck I get "Randomly" chosen for a full thorough check. Took out EVERYTHING in my backback. Had so much crap in there. Books - about 25 pounds. HEAVY!!! And then the guy was touching me everywhere. But I survived. FLight from JFK to Vienna. Probably shouldn't have. Watched PG Santa Clause 3. Eh...ok. At least it's better than what else was on there. Dinner for Schmucks and I really wanted to watch SALT, but I can wait a couple years for that. No probem. Then I just did sudoku, played backgammon on the tv. Sat next to some Austrian ladies and husband to one of them. Should have talked to them more. But did not. Felt like forever waiting in the Vienna airport. I was dying of THIRST!!!! Literally. No dang thirsty. and from flight from JFK they only gave you a cup. Should have got up and went to the back. My own fault. Each flight. Didn't get up ONCE! Legs were hurting after 8 hours! Whew wee! Then we arrived in Bucuresti from Vienna. Love short hour half flights. They are the best. Had a nice meal. Said Multumesc and what I wanted to drink in Romanian to the stewardess.

We get there. Get all our bags. Everyones was there thankfully. Always something on the back of my mind as we travel whether or not our bags will get there with you or a later flight. Then Pres. and Sora Lundbergh were there waiting for us. WIth Elder Van Orman (Elderly Couple) Office Elder and Sister. SIster was at the office. And then the 4 Assistants were there. I forget their names. First one I met was Elder Lyon. Then two office elders. Elder Harvey (Anderson's neighbor in UT) Left the day we got there. Never saw him.
So we say hello! THen walk over to the car. Take a pic with the ROmanian flag in the background. We are all dead. I slept hardly any on the plane and today I am still struggling to stay awake sometimes. I think because of a multiple reason of things. Oh well. So right as we get to the cars. We get our stuff for the night in our backpack. Luggage would be taken to the HOME. While we were going to the OFFICE and other places. Right as we get there. We see....guess what! A tigan, or gypsy! Elder James thought it was just a member of the Ward....but uh, nope. Maybe 7 years old. And Mom was a little ways away with 1 or 2 year old. Great welcome to Romania! haha asking for money Sora L. gave her couple pieces of candy.

Then we got in various cars. Pres and Sora Lundbergh have a van. Rented big van for Luggage. Another van. and I think another car/van. 4 total. We all went to the OFFICE. Got mini-ideas. PIcture of passport page to keep in our wallet. Got to know Van Ormans and had interviews with President! I told him about the Taggerts. Be sure and tell them "HI!" They say hi. And also just random If anyone ever asks me How I am doing? Tell them great! and tell them I say Hi to them! :) Because I do. Anyone who asks you. Ok? Thanks. They are on the 8 or 7th floor and had a little balcony. Got a pretty good view of Sector 2 and Sector 1 of Buc. Buc is a big circle basically. Split it up into 6 pieces like a pie. 6 sectors. After the office. 3 or 4 Elders went to the hospital type place. To be able to stay in the country. I don't know. Took blood pressure. Height. Weight. Allergies. Problems. Done. Seemed different for everyone, but we needed that sheet for the next day getting visas. Not thorough at all. I am healthy!

Then back to the office for just a bit. And we got our card to take out money and what not. THen we went with our nosi. Mine was Elder Kapsa, and I stayed the night with Elder Sullivan who was with Elder Nelson. We had a small sandwich and then after that We went bloc knocking I did first door approach...rejected. Got a couple interests. Took a pamphlet but not a good time right now. It was fun....I guess. Already used to rejection. Elder Kapsa was fun. Talkative and know Romanian pretty well! uhhhh a lot better than me. Took a tramvai/tram. Traffic is so crazy. ONe of the Elder's needs to take it easy. He is so crazy driving! And also on the way back from the airport, I rode with Elder Van Orman. Thought I was going to die a couple times, but didn't :P

After bloc knocking for a little bit. Planned. Then went to bed. And basically a BLOCK/ BLOC or plural blocuri. It's an apartment building. Stairwell with 20 residencies or bigger ones in Buc have I have no idea. 40. Basically all cement. All over Eastern Europe and Romania. A lot of my activity will be to knock them!

Then went to meet at Universitate. Got our visas. Lot of waiting around and lots of paperwork and what not for the office elders and assistants. Don't think I would like that that much...eh. Visa done. Met up with everyone. And we went to Chisinau Park. Same spot where Elder Nelson dedicated this land! Some construction in the water/lake area. Really dirty down there. But met with President and Sora. We sang and then they read the prayer. It was good. Then we went to the Mission Home of Pres. and Sora Lundburgh. Had a really nice meal. Lasagna. Beans. and a Salad. Had like 8 different juices. and we finished all of them (all 11 of us) then basically we all passed out on the couch. For like 15 minutes. Before that. Had dessert. Really good cake. Lasagna and Cake was different but I like it.
THen orientation about the mission from Sora Lundbergh. Specifics. Do's and Don't's. Pretty basic.

Then we all got our CITIES and TRAINERS. Mine is Elder Betteridge and going to Brasov. Um basically everyone wanted to go to Brasov or a couple other cities, Constanta, Buc, Arad, and I am the lucky one and get to go to Brasov. So this is Wednesday here. Waited a little bit. Then got our tickets for the train. Luggage adn everything. Train ride was good. about 3 hours north of Buc. In cabin with 2 women. one younger and one older. Got talking towards the end. I uh...just listened. While Elder Betteridge did all the talking. I actually understood the just and some concerns she had about what we were talking about. Then we got to Brasov. Then walked to our apartment not sure how far away. Little bit of a walk. Not too bad.

Then basically unpacked one suitcase and some of my backpack. Then went to bed!

Woke up. Unpacked everything else. (THURSDAY) had a lesson with Gheorghe, his family, wife, adn 2 kids are members, bus driver, but hasn't joined yet. Bus driving is keeping him from church. Good lesson on Gospel of Jesus Christ (Less. 3) Also Thursday...District Meeting with Sisters Walker and Puckett at the church. Brasov and I think there are 2 in Buc. Only cities with meeting houses...as of right now. I'll change that. After Dist. Mtg. Ate at McDonalds. Not bad. Kinda expensive. Like 5 bucks. Expensive compared to everything else. Had a good lesson with Vasile, member, in-active. I taught about Holy Ghost and Liahona in Romanian DUH! Too easy. Then finished day with block knocking. Had a good contact in Centru park, Alex. youth. Pretty good english. Loved seeing all the old guys arguing or playing "table" or backammon and chess.

Friday. Left apartment early. Service for the Miron family. Met them at Gheorghe's (Rautu Familia) Chopped some wood for Miron's and then neighbors too. 3 LEI bus ride out a little ways to "la tara" / countryside and then came back. Changed. Short lesson with Gabi, met him last night in the blocks. THen we had weekly planning. Then lesson with Eta about plan of salvation (older woman)

Saturday. Left apartment. To church. English Lessons every tuesday and saturday. I talked very little. Elder Betteridge taught the class. Then I talked about Atonement. After we had a spiritual thought. Then met Mihai, kinda interested we'll see. At meat stand. Then lunch. FIRST SHOARMA!!!!!! It was pretty dang good. Not a fan of mayonnaise but I'll learn to LOVE it. I want another one right now. THen another lesson with Gheorghe. Went to Adihna who we met in the Block. Then bloc knocking, got into into two of them elderly couple and older man with 12 year old son. 1st lesson.

Sunday was good. MIRACLE. We want 200 baptism by the end of 2010 and we got our work cut out for us. Lots of finding and kncoking needs to be done. I think we have 140 or so right now. I will try and do all I can. So every Sunday. We are fasting. Church at 10 to 1. Understand most of what people were saying. I am a "boboc" or baby duck. Every one says it. IT's funny. Vasile came! No Gheorghe or Eta. NExt week! ANd then ELder Vandermark was there with his parents. He was done last Wednesday. Bore his testimony. I was going to have to give a talk but never did. Sora Walker did. New in area but speaks perfectly. (BTW just us two ELders and two Sisters in Brasov, pretty big city) not sure people wise After Church. Went back to apartment, made nice lunch. noodles and meat and sauce. Cake. and bread. Very delicious. Then area book calls. Whiteboard contacting, drew Plan of Salvation without words. Asked people what they thought it meant. good way to start our convo. Gave out some pamphlets. THen called Eujan, called him last year, able to set up a lesson. LIves a little north of Brasov. Took bus up there and taught him about book of mormon and what not. Seemed really interested. Has a nice casa or house. Really rich!

ANd then today has been great. PREPARATION DAY! Cleaned. Laundry. Haircut. Mail place. Now internet. Then Lunch. Shopping then Gabi again, knocking, and trefan family, investigators.

The work is slow now. The sisters have a baptism date and we need to invite ours to baptism and get them to church. Only so many SUndays till the YEAR IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!! WORK WORK WORK. I love Romania and I love the church here. True pioneers. And it's tough. I really look up them. And to all the missionaries. I need to get this language down so I can actually talk to people! I can understnad as my companion is teaching, but putting sentences together is tough. Praying everyday helps and I learn so many words reading signs, scriptures, and trying to say what I want.

I love you all and I am excited to write you next week. Hopefully I do some good. Brasov is so great. And cool thing....uhhh basically the coldest city in the mission! So if I stay here one or two more transfers, pray for me. :) hehe. I love the cold. I can take it. I love the mountains. And also, Brasov has a Hollywood sign which is pretty awesome and I think we'll hike up there one of these P-days. I love you all.

Send my love to the rest of the family, friends, and Ward. I love you.

Love,

Elder Schroedter

No comments:

Post a Comment