Monday, June 27, 2011

Farewell to the Lundbergs, Welcome to the Hills

It's going to be really weird this coming week. Tomorrow the new Mission President and wife will arrive. President and Sora Hill. And Wednesday morning, President and Sora Lundberg will be leaving. Then on Thursday will be my first presentation with Elder Veenendaal as Zone Leader in Zone Conference with the new mission president for the Buc East and West Zones this Thursday (Cities: Ploiesti, Buc, Constanta, Alexandria, Craiova, and Pitesti). Then on Friday Mission Council with all the Zone Leaders in the Mission. Then Saturday....nothing special. And Sunday. The usual. Things are changing. People coming and others going. I have really come to love the Lundbergs so much. I feel like I barely got here and they are already leaving me! I'll miss them a lot. They did so much for this mission and for this people. I love President, Sora, and Josh! va iubesc din tot sufletul meu.

Last night was a really great fireside where all three of them spoke and another member from the other side of Buc (Panduri) wrote an awesome poem that included all of their names and even rhymed in Romanian, of course. Josh gave a nice talk and had a lot nice stories. Sora Lundberg talked about the purpose of missionaries and gratitude for all of us - Elders, Sisters and Elderly Couples. It's all about the Gospel. Five steps to happiness and true joy. Faith. Repentance. Baptism. Gift of the Holy Ghost. And Enduring to the End. And President Lundberg gave an awesome talk about the miracles he has seen here in his three years. I love them all so much. He told the sweet story about Toma Samoila....awesome story!!!!! And now...he happens to be serving in the mission. I sure hope I get to be his companion some time.

Saturday after an awesome English class where 3 students showed up. We were going home and coming up out of the metro station and it is raining with A BUCKET! or in other words...raining cats and dogs. It was probably the worst storm I have been through here in Romania so far. Couple bad snow storms in Brasov and Timi. A rain storm in Timi and now many more to come here in Buc. We were pinned down for a good 30 minutes. Probably the closest to lightning I have ever been in my life. I couldn't blink from the time i saw the light of the lightning, hearing the crack of thunder a split second after and jumping off the ground a couple feet. It was crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems to rain everyday and occasionally, maybe weekly, we'll get a big storm. It was a good week though. Had a good exchange with my fav, Elder Lee the new District Leader.

So after English, Elder Lee and I are in their area and Elder Martin is with Veenendaal at our apartment. We had a lesson with a really cool member, young and eager to be a missionary. Adrian "champion" he goes by. Then after that went to a really nice park. "Tineretului" had a nice lesson with a man, gave him a BOM but not too eager meet up again. Then the next day a good lesson with someone Veenen and I found, Silvia. Then to a member's house Firaru's and then Manescu. We did work. I'll just say that much. Elder Lee is so awesome. I love him a lot and grateful to be serving with him. Really non-Christlike move someone pulled on us happened after our lesson in Tineretuliu. It's not to far from the church. We walk out of the park and get on a bus. First. On a typical bus. 3 entrances. 1 single door in the front. and 2 double doors in the middle and back. Lots of people were pushing to the middle so I decide to get on the back. And Elder Lee follows. It's only one stop. We are just standing there. Not really talking or anything. But I notice two guys to Elder Lee's back. So so many times already here in Buc, I hear people talking about us and they even say I wonder if they understand...anyways back to the story. These two guys are talking about the church, first, because we just drove by it...getting close to our stop. 15 seconds. He says just stupid things. Who would put Christ's name on a wall? These two boys standing in front of me and not even understanding me...then a couple other things I probably didn't quite understand and not worth repeating. We ACTUALLY were supposed to get off in two stops. But something told me and just told me to get off. So I did and Elder Lee followed. Still talking about us. I simply said, "o seara buna" - have a good night... and midway through saying it, the guy talking gets up and slaps Elder Lee on the back of the head. We get off. Elder Martin and Veenendaal are there. Then he opens his window. Flips us off and then spits on us....we were all pretty upset. All I say is I am glad we got off the bus. I didn't even see Martin and Veen. They were going to get on the bus. But anyways. It's hard to love people after that and seeing the bad that exists in the world. But I do it anyways.

I love it here in Bucuresti and am really excited to be having the investigators that we have and working with them. Silvia wants to be baptized and serve a mission. We still need to meet with her and teach her everything. She is going on vacation really soon. Other wise we would have a baptism here in a couple weeks.

In church yesterday, I was the last speaker for Sacrament. A missionary talks every Sacrament meeting....shouldn't but we do. But all I had was like 3 minutes....i think I did about 5 minutes. Talked about probably the best story ever from the New Test. Luke 22:50-51. After the Garden of Gethsemane. Judas betraying him. Into the hands of the enemy. He still loves them. It was hard last Tuesday with that less-than-nice man on the bus. But I love him and pray for him that he'll realize what he really is doing. It's all about Christ and his Atonement. I shared that scripture and bore my testimony about the Atonement. Conveniently, the previous talk was about the Atonement and didn't steal my thunder, but added to the greatness. I love this Gospel so much. So much. It has changed my life and that is why I am here. To change lives. To give people love. The perfect, eternal. ever-lasting love of Jesus Christ and help them feel that for them.

I love all of you. Especially President, Sora and Josh Lundberg Family. :)

Love,

Elder Schroedter


No comments:

Post a Comment